Saturday, September 13, 2008

Why this blog? (Sorta off topic)

So I was recently asked: "Why are you making this blog? Are you going to make money at it?"

Well no, I do not plan on making money at it. I don't even know if anything will ever come of this blog. So far nobody has gone out of their way to comment on it beyond the above question. But that is ok, it isn't really for them, this blog is for me.

So, anyways, here is the "Why" behind this blog:

Once, I had a dream. In that dream the Navy would teach me all about computers and technology. Yeah, that didn't happen. Then I thought I would go to college to learn about computers (Dot Com crash, anyone?). So yeah, that didn't happen either.

Every few years it seems I would make a good start on getting my programming up to speed, but then something would happen that would make me lose heart. Or I would get to busy. Or the kids would need me. Or my software would be out of date.

Too many excuses. Not enough reasons. We've all been there.

So here I am. Writing this blog. I've got the tools to program (finally). I've been building the knowledge for years. I just need to apply it and get it to stick in my head. I once read that the best way to learn a topic yourself is to teach it to someone else.

And so: This Blog!

This blog is about forgotten dreams, lost years, and hopes that are still alive. It is about making me listen to myself. "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" comes to mind. Or maybe "STFU if you don't wanna read my blog, you don't have to."

But yeah, not gonna make any money on it. Never planned to, never hope to. But thats ok, just writing the blog is its own reward.

And besides: if someone else learns something from it, bonus!

No comments: